Goal-Setting Tips That Work!10 May 2013
Goal setting is crucial for getting what you want. They help you move in the right direction. Obviously, goals will not automatically make your life better or make you rich. It’s up to you to set goals that make you happy and that are right for you. Today, we would like to show you some powerful tips that will help you to set inspiring and realistic goals.
One of the most effective ways to set goals is to utilize the S.M.A.R.T criteria. The acronym SMART has a number of slightly different variations, which can be used to provide a more comprehensive definition for goal setting:
- S - specific, significant, stretching
- M - measurable, meaningful, motivational
- A - agreed upon, attainable, achievable, acceptable, action-oriented
- R - realistic, relevant, reasonable, rewarding, results-oriented
- T - time-based, timely, tangible, trackable
The idea behind the SMART technique is to evaluate each of your goals in terms of five criteria. Let's have a look at them:
- Specific - goals must be clear and unambiguous. Vagaries and platitudes have no place in goal setting.
- Measurable - making your goals measurable will help you know when you’re making progress, when you’re on the right track, and will motivate you to take action.
- Achievable - you should set a goal that is attainable. Based on the present restrictions such as your schedule, workload, and knowledge, do you believe you can attain the objective you set?
- Realistic - set a goal you have a realistic chance of achieving. If you set a highly unrealistic goal, it will discourage you from taking action and even taking the first step.
- Time-based - goals must have a deadline. Setting a deadline reinforces the seriousness of the goal in your mind. It motivates you to take action.
There is also an extended version of the SMART Method. It is called the SMARTEST goal setting technique that I use to fire up one’s commitment to a higher level of successful goal setting. It includes three additional criteria:
- Engaging - a goal should be stimulating and challenging enough, and should be able to rouse you from your slumber, so that you begin working towards it.
- Shifting - remember that the only thing constant in this world is change. Be flexible. Adjust your goals to changing circumstances.
- Team Effort - goals are best realized with team effort! Use the Law of Synergy to to achieve your goals faster and accelerate the results.
Goals are what keep us focused on the present. Remember to plan regular goal check-ins to gauge your progress, review your next steps and celebrate your successes.
How do you establish your goals? What is your experience with SMART and SMARTEST formula? Let us know.